Monday 26 January 2015

Gokan - Tartan

What you see is my first attempt at tartan and it has taken an age to get to something I am reasonably happy with.
The system I used was to paint the kilt purple, add the highlights and shading before starting on the black. I worked the thick black lines first, then added the thin lines.
This made everything look quiet stark in contrast and I wanted to ' pull the colours together '.
So I used two colours from the Scale 75 Black and White set, petroleum grey to work the shadows, covering both black and purple, then using rainy grey to work the highlights.
This has created the desired effect.


I have also base coated some of the leather and metal. I will be aiming for a NMM copper, with a bit of weathering. The leather work will also show some wear. 
My thoughts with this figure is that he would not have much in the way of different materials, leather and copper being the armour and a fair bit of leather for his footwear and straps.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is amazing! Nothing more left to say, that is probably the best tartan I have ever seen in this scale! Can't wait to see the finished project, I think single miniatures are much more your thing than groups. Only the colour choices (ginger and purple) aren't my taste, but that's probably just me.
    Cheers, Bennet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the Tartan, very realistic in its apperance. Looking forward to your product reviews, the brushes sound very interesting,

    ReplyDelete